What is a Sunroom?
A sunroom or patio enclosure is a combination of glass and screens that comprise an outdoor living room space that can also double as an indoor space. Usually, sunrooms and patio enclosures are constructed on concrete or wood foundations, providing long-lasting durability. Sunrooms and patio enclosures are popular ways to renovate your exterior and interior and make upgrades that will enhance your home’s value and overall comfortability.
Patio enclosures were first offered in mainstream markets in the 1960s, and over time, they have evolved into more efficient sunrooms and patio enclosures with new materials and installation methods.
Benefits of a Sunroom or Patio Enclosure
For those interested in adding on a sunroom or patio enclosure to your home, here are some benefits of investing in a little more square footage for your property.
- You will actually use your sunroom or patio enclosure: You can use it for a variety of different purposes, including a place to have breakfast, entertain, house your plants, read and for multiple family activities.
- Sunrooms and patio enclosures are an affordable investment: Some home upgrades can run into extra costs during renovation. For example, remodeling your basement, attic or garage could cost more than $50,000. For the most part, sunrooms cost under $20,000. If you decide to sell your home, it provides a good investment for resale value.
- Installation is quick and easy: Because the materials involve steel, aluminum and other products, the installation is quicker than standard homebuilding. Your sunroom or patio enclosure will be ready to use in just a few weeks — compared to the standard number of months of normal construction timelines.
- Sunrooms are good for your health: Everyone needs a little sunshine in their daily routines. Sunrooms and patio enclosures ensure better health by providing a natural stress reliever, fresh air and Vitamin D from the sun. Plus, you will be out of the heat and other elements.
- Your plants will love them year round: You can house your plants in sunrooms and patio enclosures during every season and type of weather.
Sunroom and Patio Enclosure Decor
Decor for your sunroom is limitless, and you can bring another piece of the world and your personality in your sunroom. For example, if you love the beach, accentuate the natural sunlight from the windows with seashells, turquoise paint, palm trees and other tropical plants, soft white curtains and more. If your style is more vintage, consider decorating your sunroom with quilts, rustic furniture, soft color schemes and shabby chic elements.
Research inspiring ideas on home renovation blogs, websites, Pinterest and your favorite DIY television show.
Know the Facts Before You Buy
Before purchasing your sunroom or patio enclosure, be sure to do your research and assess your home’s needs. Do cost comparisons, make sure your electrical raceways are up to code, if your windows and screens are glare free and other information about your new sunroom.